Skip to main content
- Avian Influenza Information
Avian Influenza Information
Avian Influenza (National Wildlife Health Center and USDA):
- Avian influenza virus is divided into (2) groups which is based on the virus’s ability to produce disease and the severity of the illness it causes:
- Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) = spreads rapidly and results in high mortality in birds
- Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza (LPAI) = causes only minor illnesses and occurs naturally in migrating waterfowl
- *Possibility that some LPAI virus strains are capable of mutating into HPAI viruses are of great concern
- LPAI viruses are not considered to be foreign or exotic because they occur naturally in North America
- Avian Influenza not only infects wild populations of birds such as shorebirds and waterfowl but they also infect domestic poultry (chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, etc.) and have a zoonotic strain that can infect human populations!
Help Solve The Problem!